Thursday, December 01, 2005

Valuable Sociolinguistic Case Studies: More Shameless Self Promotion

Here is a report I did for a Sociolinguistics assignment.

Here are the reasons why you must read this report;
  1. You are extremely bored and you have absolutely nothing else to do
  2. You have interest in the situation of code switching in Brunei and is looking for free documents online written by intelligent and beautiful women doing ESL degrees
  3. Voyeurism
  4. You have no life
  5. You are curious of my family situation
  6. You are an ex-employee of my father and is now considerably interested in his daughter
  7. It is 4am and you still can't get yourself to sleep
  8. You are a sociolinguist particularly interested in code switching, its relation to basic human institutions and the sociocultural implications it has on the individual
  9. You like to read anything about Brunei published online
  10. You read my last article entitled Green Sea and Brown Mud and would like to read more of my beautiful writings

This is the Abstract:

This is a brief report on a comparative study on members of my family. It looks at the distinct differences in speech patterns between me and my family members. There is a specific emphasis on when, where and why there is code switching between the languages Malay, English and Danau. In this report I also found the special use of third person pronouns which is an uncommon feature of speech in the Brunei Malay community, a unique way of intonation, and differences of accents in speech.

It might just resonate with your own family situations. Interested readers can download the .pdf document by clicking here.

No comments: